Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New Year's Eve with Amma (continued)

December 31, 2009.

Aum Amriteshwaryai Namah,

I wanted to close the loop and share with everyone the amazing New Year's Eve celebration here at the Amritapuri Ashram...

Jim, Jason and I went up for our Darshan as we began to get a little concerned that the line was going to end in time for the New Year's Eve performances to begin. As such, we went straight to the front of the line at about 8pm or so. We each had our Darshans and it was very sweet. I had a bag of cashews for Amma (of course) and She gave me a very sweet smile and started whispering blessings in my ear in Punjabi. I was in Her arms for a few repetitions of the blessings when She stopped and said to Gireesh Swami "huh?" to which Gireesh Swami responded "Punjabi, Punjabi" Amma scolded him slightly almost to say I know my son is Punjabi speaking and you have interrupted my words to him. It was very funny and I let out a chuckle when I heard Gireesh Swami say this to Amma. She obviously knows me and my mother tongue now. How Divine is that?!?!

Amma continued to give Darshan for many hours into the night. It must have been at least 9pm or so when the performances started. It was really, really loud so the three of us retreated to our room to rest for a bit and rejoin the festivities at around 11:00pm.

We called home and wished Mom and Dad a New Year as we were about 45 mins. away from it here in Kerala.

We went back out to the Main Hall and watched a few of the last performances. Following this, Amma lead us in about 5 minutes of chanting "Lokah Samasta Sukhino Bhavantu" (May All the Beings in All the Worlds be at Peace). Amma followed this with Her New Year's address which was really profound and wonderful! The main jist of what She was saying was that She wants all of us to be light, cheerful and playful like children.

After this address was translated, Amma lead us in a very rousing "Khol Darvaaza Sheranvali-ey" which is a new 2009 Punjabi bhajan with such beautiful meaning. She had all of us with our hand up in the air and waving them like the Hare Krishnas do when they are dancing for Krishna!

This entire program went on until 1:00am. We went straight to bed and did not wake up until 8:30am the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment