Saturday, January 23, 2010

Peaceful Silence...Silence Truly is Golden!

January 23, 2010

Aum Amriteshwaryai Namah...

Today has been a really beautiful day. I decided last night as I went to bed that I was going to observe silence until chai time (4pm). I woke up and put the "Mostly Silent" sign around my neck and went out for breakfast. I then went back to my room and spent most of the day meditating, reading Awaken Children VIII and typing my blog.

I went out for lunch and it was really nice to see that people were really appreciating me and my efforts to be silent for the day. I had the Indian (free) food for lunch and retreated back to my room for more of the same.

At about 4pm I went out to get chai and came back to my room. Very thoughtfully and peacefully, I drank my chai and ate my coconut from yesterday. This was how I broke my silence. I started to speak with my roommates a little as they were both in the room for a good portion of the day today.

I think I will make a regular habit of observing silence even back home for portions of the day - like maybe first thing in the morning until lunch time or something. It's really nice!

I know that I will observe silence on January 29, 2010 when I have my birthstar Pujas scheduled. I did that last year when I was here and it was SUPER powerful!

Soon, I will go out for bhajans (in the Kali Temple even though it's women only - I will just sit upstairs quietly). I like the women's bhajans more than the men's. There seems to be more bhakti (devotion) and the acoustics in the Temple are better than in the Main Hall as the sound system has gone to Trivandrum with Amma so the sound quality in the Main Hall is not the same as when She is here.

This is exactly what I was hoping for - some quiet and internal exploration while Amma is away in Trivandrum. I was really craving some calm, quiet and inner reflection time.

I think I will observe silence again day after tomorrow. I don't want people to feel that I am unapproachable by doing it everyday here!

Aum Amriteshwaryai Namah...

No comments:

Post a Comment